Weeknight Butterbean and Mushroom Bake
The nights are drawing in, and it’s only a couple of days until Halloween.
It’s the time of year for warming soups and stews, chillis and jacket potatoes. The clocks have gone back, though, so it’s also duvet time of year, put-the-heating on time of year, and you no doubt have far better things to do than slave over a hot stove. Try this for fast, easy weeknight comfort food.
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 1 can of butterbeans
- 1 punnet of mushrooms
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 desertspoon of cumin
- 1 desertspoon of coriander
- 1/2 desertspoon of garlic powder
- Dry stuffing mix
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 8.
- Open the cans of tomatoes and place in a microwave safe casserole dish. Wash and slice the mushrooms and mix them in.
- Open the butter beans and add them, along with the spices. Mix thoroughly. Sprinkle a good layer of stuffing mix on the top - I used only a small fraction of a 170g box.
- Heat the dish in a microwave for 5 minutes on full power.
- Now bake in the oven. I cooked it for 30 minutes under a tray of oven chips, then swapped them for 5 minutes to crunch up the topping. If you aren't cooking something else in the oven, it may well take less time or a lower temperature.
This dish was really simple to prepare, and worth the wait while it was in the oven. From the crunch of the stuffing, to the fluffy butter beans and still-juicy mushrooms, this dish was a treat. It was full flavoured and well spiced, perfect warming comfort food.
I’m entering this in Tinned Tomatoes’ Meat Free Mondays, a blogging event full of scrummy vegetarian and vegan food.