Chocolate and Blueberry Porridge
It’s July – and it’s raining. I’m woken up at six, an hour earlier than normal, by my small human. Mornings like this call for porridge. It’s filling, tasty and healthy to boot.
Well, it is ’til I get near it with the golden syrup. I know I eat too much sugar, so, this week we tried a variant that’s tastier, and healthier too. A perfect summer holiday treat. The small one finished his portion in record time.
5 minPrep Time
3 minCook Time
8 minTotal Time
- 2 generous handfuls value porridge oats
- 1 -2 desertspoons cocoa powder
- 2 generous handfuls blueberries
- Whole milk
- Full fat natural yogurt to taste
- Place the oats in the bottom of a microwave safe bowl, and scatter the blueberries and cocoa over the top. Fill with milk so there's a good centimetre on top of the oats. Don't worry about stirring.
- Microwave on full power for 2 minutes. After this time it should still look like oats floating in milk. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- You should now have a smooth porridge. If it's still thin, cook it for longer. If not, no worries, see next step.
- Squash the blueberries with the back of your spoon and give it a stir. Now transfer a spoonful into a small bowl and mix with yoghurt for the little one, and swirl yoghurt into the big bowl. I use roughly 50:50 porridge:yoghurt for him, as it cools the porridge down quickly. It's really easy to vary the yoghurt according to the consistency of the porridge though - if I overdo the oats mine turns out like concrete.
I was really impressed by the flavour, and all with no added sugar. I may try raspberries next week! Note – I use full fat milk and yoghurt as I’m cooking for a 1 year old.