Creamy Pasta with Bacon – Cheats’ Midweek Meal
Creamy pasta with bacon, leek and sweetcorn – ready in just half an hour and so easy.
Your summer holiday is a distant memory and your credit card is starting to fill up with goodies you can’t open ’til Christmas. It’s cold outside, and the thermostat wars have begun as you reach for another jumper. It’s comfort food time of year – and what better food is there for a quick midweek bowl of comfort food than pasta? Even better – pasta with bacon.
This meal took only 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Even better, for much of that time I was getting other things done around the house. I could have made a cheese sauce for this as is traditional with pasta dishes, particularly pasta with bacon . However, who has the time to make a (lumpy, in my case) roux, and scrub out the pan afterwards?
My favourite cheats’ sauce ingredient is cream cheese. You can even find light versions available if you prefer. It needs no thickening, and the saltiness of the bacon takes away the tang, leaving a scrummy creamy sauce . It was so popular my two year old finished his in record time and started on ours!
If you enjoy pasta with bacon check out my other recipe for squash and bacon pasta. This recipe only uses half a packet of bacon. If you won’t use the rest, pop it in the freezer for next time.
Tips on Cooking Creamy Pasta with Bacon
I found I had ample time to defrost the bacon and cook it until it was crispy while the pasta cooked. If you prefer your bacon soft remember to take it totally off the heat when it’s cooked. I used most of a large tin of sweetcorn – freeze any leftovers or use them in sandwiches. If you use frozen it should still cook in the same length of time.
If you’re not a leek fan you could try frying up some mushrooms with the bacon, or chucking in some roast peppers.
A super easy midweek pasta dish that doesn't sacrifice flavour
- 170 g pasta 6oz
- 2 leeks
- 260 g sweetcorn 9oz
- 150 g bacon 5.25 oz
- 1 pinch garlic powder and black pepper
- 250 g cream cheese 9 oz
- Slice the leek and place it in a pan with the pasta and sweetcorn. Boil until the pasta is tender.
- Chop the bacon straight into a non stick pan with scissors and cook according to preference. I cooked it until it was done but soft, then turned the heat right down and left it crisping up until the pasta was done.
- When the pasta and vegetables are cooked drain them and stir in the bacon, any bacon juices and the garlic and pepper.
- Give it a good mix over a low flame so the cheese melts in - and devour.
- use low fat cream cheese if you wish
- If you have a non stick frying pan you may not need oil