Simple Chilli Con Carne
This quick, simple chilli recipe is mild and easy to make.
Are you confident cooking with spices, or do you use mixes, blends and ready made sauces? I’ve designed this chilli to be simple as can be. It’s a blank canvas. It’s very mild, as a starting point- use it to play around with different amounts and types of chilli to get a feel for how spicy you like it.
To continue your experimentation, when you have the chilli how you like it, add a little cumin, coriander, cinnamon or smoked paprika. Just pick one, add a little and see what it does to the taste. Over time, you will develop your own preferred spice combination for this really simple chilli – a great easy weekday meal.
I use frozen lamb mince as it’s really convenient, but any beef or lamb, or even goat or venison or turkey, should produce a yummy chilli. If you don’t fancy peas, try half a can of sweetcorn. We served it over rice, but it would also be great as a taco filling with some grated cheese or sour cream.
2 minPrep Time
23 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 onion
- 500g lamb mince
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 3 small handfuls frozen peas
- 1 desertspoon cornflour
- Dice the onion and fry until it begins to soften.
- Add the mince and cayenne pepper and stir the mince until it is all browned.
- Add the kidney beans, peas and tomatoes and heat through.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with a little cold water. Turn the heat up and stir in briskly. Leave for a couple of minutes to thicken.
This quick chilli recipe is mild and easy to make.