Spicy Courgette and Mushroom Scramble
For me, Sunday lunch is rarely a big roasted-meat affair, but rather something quickly thrown togehter. The reason for this is that I never seem to plan meals for Sunday, so it’s a question of ‘right, what have I got left, and how can I cook it?’.
Today I had mushrooms, courgettes and eggs, so I made something resembling a piperade. I love cooking eggs- they can add flair to so many dishes, and texture to so many flavours. And they ‘re one of nature’s fast foods!
This meal can be made in about 15 minutes if you’re a fast chopper.
- 1 courgette
- A handful of mushrooms
- A tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Some olive oil for frying
- Chop the courgette into 1/2 or 1/4 slices and slice the mushrooms
- Finely chop the garlic
- Pour a generous splash of oil into a frying pan and add a piece of courgette. Turn the hob on, and when it starts to sputter add all of the courgette, mushrooms and garlic. Stir in the cayenne pepper.
- Next, open the tin of tomatoes. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them.
- When the vegetables have softened, add the tomatoes and egg, and stir constantly until the egg is cooked.
The spice gave this dish a lovely comforting, warming feel, and it was quick and easy enough for a lunch or quick weeknight supper. Definitely one to try again!