What To Do With A Can of Mackerel 2: Stir Fry
I love discovering those ingredients, that, when combined, produce a whole new flavour that’s greater than the sum of the parts. There’s a kind of magic in it, as if you’d just discovered a new fruit that no one had tasted before.
This recipe is one such combination. Once you’ve tasted it you’ll be smitten. It also happens to be a quick and easy low budget meal.
Always remember to taste it before you serve it in case the seasoning needs adjusting. This lovely little meal is great with rice, noodles, pasta or jacket potatoes- pretty much anything really!
- 2 cans of mackerel
- 1-2 leeks
- 1-2 carrots
- 1 onion
- The juice of half a lemon
- White pepper to taste
- Some water and a little cooking oil
- Open and drain the cans of mackerel.
- Slice the leeks, and dice the onions
- Cut the carrots into thin strips
- Juice the half- lemon if you're using a fresh lemon
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, leek and carrot and fry on a medium-hot heat until they start to soften. If they dry out and start to stick then add some water.
- Add the mackerel, lemon juice and white pepper, and a little water if it starts to dry out and stick. Cook it for a few more minutes until it's all heated through.